Monday, January 30, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 6 - Protect Your Program

Today was truly one of the best days I've had since I started this blog!  I woke up feeling very energetic and positive and KNEW it was going to be a "fantastical" day!  : )    I did my weekly weigh-in and, lo and behold, I've dropped 2.7 lbs!   I'm thrilled, of course!  I feel as though my hard work from last week paid off - and what that does is give me incentive to make this week even better!

I'm on Day 6 of the 100 Days Challenge, though I started this over a week ago.  Heck, may as well call it a 100 WEEKS CHALLENGE as I'm certainly not going to be able to get through this challenge in 100 Days .   I also don't want to rush through this challenge just to get it done and say "I DID IT!"  As I've mentioned last week, I need time to reflect on some of the topics before I can apply them to my journey. Another reason is there are days when I simply will not be able to read, reflect and journal - whether it's because we will be traveling or because "stuff" happens.   In any case, the journey is a life-long journey - not just a little over three months which is what 100 days would be.  I am ready to move on  to the next theme as I do feel totally committed,  have set my boundaries, and set my goals.  Besides my overall goals and my daily meal planning, I'm also going to start setting my weekly fitness plan.   This week my goal is to get in FIVE days of exercise - three of swimming and two of walking.   I'll need to get them done during the week as this weekend we'll be taking a road trip to the mountains.

The theme for Day 6 is "Protect Your Program".   What this means is to take ownership of one's program to the point that no one should be able to influence us to "ignore" the program - not even for a day!    I've been demonstrating this already with my husband. He enjoys cooking but often makes dishes that are simply not on my plan.  I let him know what I can or cannot eat, and, when necessary, we plan separate meals.  The biggest challenge is generally eating out - especially having dinner with friends at their homes.  For example, we've been invited to friends' house on Thursday evening - and the menu is "brats and fixings".   I'm not sure what the "fixings" are but I'm assuming it is German fare such as potato salad, etc.  I intend to bring a veggie and dip plate and/or fruit plate which will give me a recourse in case the fixings are high caloric foods as most German foods are.   Protecting one's program also includes the pre-planning of meals - both at home and when one eats out - when possible.  I have already made it a habit since quite some time to check out restaurant menus online prior to eating out.  This way I can pre-plan my meal.  I've also started requesting that the dressing or sauce be placed on the side - or not at all.   Protecting my program is instinctive to me - especially since now I'm totally committed to it!

What did I do today to demonstrate my TOTAL commitment and how did I protect my program? 
Today, I got in 50 minutes at the pool - 45 minutes of lap swimming (3/4 of a mile) and 5 minutes of water aerobics.    I did not have to even think of "doing it anyway" - as I felt very self-motivated - a nice change from most of last week!   I also ENJOYED my time at the pool - savored the time in the water and set up a nice rhythm of swimming laps - which made it less of a chore, which is often how I see exercise.   In some ways, choosing to take on a positive attitude towards exercise is also a way to "protect one's program" - from myself, not from anyone else!  I can let negativity dictate how I feel about exercise or any other aspect of this program - which would be allowing my emotions to sabotage it!  Or I can embrace my program, and protect it with my entire being - body, mind and soul!   Today, I have chosen the latter!   I'm hoping for more such days as it sure makes a difference as to how the day runs its course!  


Here's wishing everyone the same kind of "fantastical" day I had today!  : )





2 comments:

  1. You are inspiring me! Even in maintenance, the journey continues and you must keep doing the right thing. I have to admit, this new puppy is making me dump the exercise which I just can NOT do. Last time I ellipticized, I bonked him hard.
    Love you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babs = I love the fantastical days you've been having! Congratulations on the weight loss - I'm so proud of you. I'm sure you'll protect your plan in any circumstances! You've committed and that's what you needed to do!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete