Saturday, January 7, 2012

Saturday, January 7 - Plow the field! (borrowed from a friend)

I am borrowing a saying posted by my online buddy, Miriam, whose blog I have been following for several months.   She mentioned how we often make plans about what we are going to do to reach our goals, but often it doesn't go beyond the thinking stage.  If we're going to be productive, then we need to actually "plow the field", i.e. not just "think it" but actually "do it"!    So today, I didn't just plan to walk 2.5 miles - I did it!

Yesterday, I went 26 points over my daily points - and used up a big chunk of my WPA's.  That's OK as I knew it would happen, and planned for it.    An Epiphany party includes the Kings' Cake - it's just not possible to have one without it!   We also had wine AND champagne!  The rest of the dinner included grilled steak (ribeye), grilled potatoes and squash and salad.   Oh, we also had deviled eggs which was brought by one of our guests. Another brought biscoches (a small cinnamon cookie)  - as New Mexico is celebrating its 100th birthday and that's the traditional cookie from NM - so I had one.   Today, I returned to normal eating  and stayed within my plan.  I'll find out on Monday what damage was done from yesterday's feast.   I'm not really worried about it, though.  Dinner parties happen - they're a part of life.  As long as we follow whichever program we've chosen to follow  during the other days, one party should not be a problem.   This is one thing I really like about WW - such events are built into the program with the allotted WPA's.  We are encouraged not to over-indulge often, but once in a while is OK.

As I mentioned, Monday is my weigh-in day.  I think most people prefer to make their WI day before the weekend rather than on a Monday.  Since I'm retired now, it can be said  "every day is a weekend".  Therefore,  I am not going to treat my weekends any differently then I do my week days.   Yes, there are many more social events scheduled on weekends, but when such events happen, I'll do what I did yesterday - and plan for any events that involve food.  I did a "trial weigh-in" yesterday a.m. and the scale showed a 2.5 lb loss!   That's great but we all know that scales can go up and down from day to day.   I will start tracking body measurements along with tracking my weight - as both are indicative of weight loss.

Monday is also the day we leave for Austin - a 9 or 10 hour drive.  Road trips are always a challenge as we will be eating out every day until Thursday night when we'll arrive at my daughter's home in San Antonio.   I will continue to track what I eat as best I can in my food journal on WW online, and continue my efforts to be mindful of what I choose to eat.  I will also continue to "plow the field" and not just think about doing it!  Thanks, Miriam...you always have such good advice to give!  : )




1 comment:

  1. I'm so thrilled for you that you plowed the field! I hope that once you are done with your trip you can settle in to a routine that is for YOU!!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete