Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My 100 Days Challenge - Day 3- Do It Anyway!

Today, I started out feeling very much "under the weather" - a general "malaise" type of feeling that translated into fatigue coupled with the congestion I still have - though it comes and goes.  As the day progressed,  I was able to shrug off the "funk" I was in and get on with the day.  How we approach the day is often tied to our own attitude.  Instead of returning to bed as I was initially tempted to do, I took today's theme - Do It Anyway! - and ran with it!   As a result, I got most of what I had on my "to do" list accomplished today - including - amazingly - EXERCISE!   Believe me, that's a big deal for me as I'm notorious for finding excuses NOT to exercise!  This is why today's theme - even if you don't feel like it, DO IT ANYWAY! - really speaks to me.  I can allow myself to be lazy - or I can be productive:  it's entirely up to me which road I choose on this journey.

While the themes given day by day in this book address a weight loss program,  in many ways, many of the themes address life in general.  This is especially true for me now as I'm at a crossroads in my life.  About a month ago, I retired after 39 years of teaching. After nearly four decades of having my responsibilities as a teacher "dictated" to me,  I find that I need to re-create my "new life" --- as a retiree ---completely on my own.  Therefore, today's "mantra" of Do It Anyway- can be applied to other areas of my life since I now have so much freedom!   That means I have freedom to be productive - or not!  By taking on the "Do It Anyway" attitude,  I can shrug off any feelings I have of hiding under the bed covers, and, instead, get up and face each day productively.  I have to say that I felt a real sense of accomplishment today - as I could have given in to the "funk" I was in, but chose not to!

What did I do today to demonstrate my TOTAL commitment?   
1.  I  planned my meals and kept under my points.  I also ate "healthy" : Special K cereal w/unsweetened almond milk and a banana for breakfast;  a veggie omelet w/egg whites  and 2 strips of turkey bacon for lunch -w/fruit and 1/2 half of an English Muffin);  yogurt, fruit and granola for a mid-day snack;  grilled chicken strips w/a medley of grilled carrots and red potatoes for dinner.  Other snacks consisted of a fiber bar before my walk, and lots of fruit.

2.  I took a 2.75 mile walk  *even though I did not feel like doing it,  I did it anyway!

2 comments:

  1. Mom,
    I'm proud of you. Blogging is a great idea! I know you'll be successful. Please e-mail me the blog link every few days so I'm reminded to look at it.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babs - you are so right - this IS a program for everyday living. You lived it so well yesterday! I'm proud of you :)
      Miriam

      Delete