Monday, January 2, 2012

Introducing me and my journey

Today is January 2, 2012, Day 1 of my journey to good health! I will be addressing my major health issues in this blog, and the steps I will be taking to help me return to the best health I can possibly attain.

A little about myself and my journey: 
 I am 63 years old, 5'2", and a recently retired teacher. I've had weight problems throughout my entire life. In 2007- 2008, I lost 45 lbs (went from 235 - my all time high - to 190) and had hovered around 195 since then - still too much but at least I was able to maintain. This fall I lost control for a number of reasons, and as a result, my weight shot up several pounds! I also just retired last month after 39 years as an educator but had not thought seriously of retiring until I started having physical problems. Due to my teaching style, I spent most of the 90 minute class periods on my feet. I started having knee problems in 2004, and it's gone pretty much downhill since then. I had not one but TWO arthroscopic surgeries for miniscus tears on both knees, one in the fall of 2004 (after collapsing in the classroom and being taken to the ER by ambulance!) and again in 2005. At that time, my orthopedic surgeon gave me 3-5 years before I would need knee replacement surgery; that was more than six years ago! While knee replacement surgery may well still be my recourse, I see it as my "last" recourse. Last summer, following the advice of my son who has had training in fitness, I started swimming laps with a kickboard 3 to 4 times a week, and felt stronger by the day and had virtually no pain. However, as I got closer to the end of the semester, my trips to to the pool became less and less. The result of being on my feet for most of the day and not following my swimming regimen was a return of pain with a vengeance! What I have found is when I follow a regular routine of swimming kickboard laps, my legs almost immediately feel stronger, and little if any pain...but the opposite takes place when I let it go. What that tells me is I need to fit in my laps no matter what!


Setting my goals for this journey:  
My goal is to exercise four or five days a week - beginning with 3-4 days of kickboard laps and 2-3 days of walking and adding laps and walking time as I go. I also plan to add weights in the weeks to come. In addition, I will be following WW Online as it has been my "tried and true" program when I've lost considerable weight in the past. I plan to modify the program with "clean eating" which I find to be a healthy and balanced program. While I will be keeping a detailed food and exercise journal on WW Online, this blog will help me keep focused during my journey. I will be sharing my thoughts, reflections and feelings - the ups and the downs. If you want to come along for the ride, you are most welcome to do so! I am also open to suggestions and advice, especially by those of you who have "been there".

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog, and on starting out the new year with a new vision of health. I wish you the very best of luck!!!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Babs......you rock! I will be following your on your journey. We can all take it together to our own end!

    elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good! You might actually have time to DO this now that you're retired! I look forward to reading about this exciting journey! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete