Friday, January 27, 2012

My 100 Days Challenge - Day 4 - Boundaries, Not Diets

The topic for Day 4 is "Boundaries".   I did not blog yesterday as it's taken me two days to come to the realization that I need to set my own boundaries since this is a lifetime journey.  At first, I was going to take the "easy route" and use WW Points Plus program as my "boundaries" - along with the extra points one gets each week.   However,  after reflection, I decided that that would not cut it - that I really need to personalize my boundaries and decide what works for me.   Coincidently, yesterday, my blogging and DWLZ  (Dotti's Weight Loss Zone) buddy, Miriam, was also going through the very same angst on the same topic of setting one's own boundaries and came to basically the same conclusion that I did - that this is something we need to create on our own.

Since I started this journey last week, I have already been setting my own boundaries, partially based on what I know are "trigger foods" for me:
1.  I am avoiding or at least reducing my use of dairy products -with the exception of Greek yogurt and a sprinkling of goat cheese (feta) on salads, omelets, etc.
(cheese is definitely one of my "trigger foods"!)
2.  I am trying to limit breads to one meal a day, and even then, using only high fiber, low calorie whole grains products.  (bread is also one of my "trigger foods")
3.  I am avoiding most prepared foods due mostly to the high content of sodium, sugar and fat and focusing instead on "clean eating" - lots of fresh produce, and mostly seafood and chicken.
4.  Desserts and snacks are generally fruit.  About once a week,  I treat myself to berries and 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt or cool whip.   (And, yes, sweets of all kinds are also "trigger foods" for me!)

When we go out to dinner,  I try to "plan ahead" by eating less caloric foods during the day.  For example, yesterday we went out to dinner with friends so I had relatively light meals during the day.  At dinner,  I ordered "cedar plank salmon" at a seafood restaurant - with no sauce (it came with a honey dijon sauce).   The plate came with asparagus and rice,the latter of which I only ate a few bitefuls.   I did have stuffed mushrooms  (2 small ones) and some calamari as appetizers....and a glass of wine.   At the end of the meal, I felt satisfied but not "stuffed".

What did I do yesterday and today to demonstrate my TOTAL commitment?   
Fitness:
1. Yesterday, I got in a one mile "fast walk" via  a Leslie Sansone tape.
2. Today I went to the gym and did 2/3 mile of laps in 45 minutes and 5 minutes of water aerobics.

Food Plan:
1. Yesterday, I ate "mindfully" at a restaurant and ate light meals during the day.
2. Today I kept well within my points:   Breakfast - Greek yogurt and fruit; one fiber one muffin;    Lunch:   egg white omelet w/spinach, mushrooms, grape tomatoes and a sprinkling of feta w/1 high fiber toast;    Dinner-  salmon patty with broccoli;  huge veggie salad;   Snacks - fruit and about 10 roasted almonds;   dessert - 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt w/berries.   (total points: 25/26 allotted points)

1 comment:

  1. what a great post! I would like to be more to the point like you are - what have I done, what have I eaten, what am I going to do/eat? I'm going to borrow from you if you don't mind! lol
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete