Wednesday, March 28, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 29 - Being Honest



To Exercise or Not To Exercise - that is the Question!  :(

This has not been a productive week for me as I've yet to return to exercising since we returned to El Paso on Sunday night.   I could think of a dozen excuses but the truth is I've done what I said I would not do this time - I've  lost my motivation to exercise.  Not even the "Do It Anyway!" mantra has worked for me this week!  I am, however, following my food plan, and blogging - the latter forces me to be "brutally honest" about my journey.  Right now, I'm doing "half a journey"...but the week is not yet over and tomorrow is a new day, right?!  So what I need to do is read the above list of "benefits for exercise" over and over again.  Every single reason should give me the motivation I need to get my body moving.  In fact, I'm going to focus on just ONE reason each day for the next nine days.  Maybe then the need for exercise will be ingrained in me!

Reason #1:  I need to exercise in order to have stronger bones and joints.  Isn't that one of the primary reasons I gave at the beginning of this challenge?  I've been told by a number of orthopedic doctors that I am a candidate for TKR (total knee replacement).  I've already proven to myself that exercise - whether by swimming laps or walking - has helped alleviate the knee pain I've felt in the past.  Why would I jeopardize that by not returning to exercise??  So there you have it!  I've already given myself the "self-talk" I need to return to my exercise regime.  Nevertheless,  I've got the list of reasons to exercised on my desktop and I will continue discussing each one in this blog in the days to come...

The topic for Day 29 in the Linda Spangle's book focuses on "Hand-held foods".    The exercise is eating hand-held foods such as nuts or M & M's - one piece at a time.  In fact, the suggestion is to try eating them with a fork or a spoon, with the idea that if it becomes tedious, one will eat less.   I actually think the less "snack-type items" one has lying around, the better.  For example, we used to have a large jar of roasted almonds  (a friend suggested replacing them with natural almonds - but the fact is I love ROASTED almonds but don't care much for the other kind of almonds).   I found that I was getting addicted to them, so now we don't buy them or keep them in the house.   I'd have the same problem if we kept M & M's around!   So I try to snack on healthy foods such as Greek yogurt with fruit and granola.

What did I do today to demonstrate my commitment to my journey?

I wrote about the ups and downs of my journey in my blog.

I followed my food plan and kept under my points.   Here is today's menu:
Breakfast - 2 ff eggs with veggies;  2 slices of turkey bacon;  English muffin w/butter
Lunch - Greek yogurt w/honey, blackberries and granola
Dinner - petite sirloin  (5 oz), asparagus and corn
Snack- 45 calorie slice of WW bread w/peanut butter;  fruit




No comments:

Post a Comment