Thursday, March 15, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 22 - Multitask with Food

 You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.  
- Ellen DeGeneres

Okay...the only part of this quote that bears repeating is the first part:  "You have to stay in shape."  Now that I am "officially" a grandmother to two precious little girls, I have to admit that they have given me a new lease on life - and another reason to become as healthy and strong as I can be!  I love being a grandmother, but am more aware than ever that in order to enjoy this role for a very long time, I need to be in the best health I can possibly be.  So I need to re-visit my reasons for this journey and add one more:  " to be as healthy I can be so I can be there for my grandchildren".

I have let this go for too long, having been away from home for nearly a month during which I blogged only a few times.  Don't get me wrong; I love spending time with my daughter and granddaughters!  However, I can't say I was able to stay completely focused on my journey so now that I'm finally home again, I am more than ready to become fully focused on my journey.  I wish I could say I'll be 100% back in the program, but, unfortunately, I'm nursing a viral infection which has affected my energy.   I'm dealing with a sore throat, head congestion, and bad coughing fits.   No matter - I still need to at least be mindful of my meals and get in whatever exercise I can manage.  I'm hoping that by next week, I'll be able to return to my swimming regime.

I do have one NSV to share!  Prior to returning to my swimming regime in January,  my husband and I went house hunting.  I had had a very difficult time going up stairs - in fact, by the fifth house, I gave up climbing any steps!   I returned to house hunting last week and had absolutely no trouble climbing the stairs - in fact, I even felt light-footed!  Wow - what a huge difference!   Even the realtor noticed!   Yay for me!!!

Day 22 is about multitasking during meals and what effect it has.   The exercise was to eat and multitask, and write down what we did and what we learned from the experience. I did the "multitask" exercise many times while I was visiting my daughter this past month as I was eating with my granddaughters.  The 3 year old at times needed some prodding and help in various ways  -  heck, we all have a hard time eating spaghetti, right?!  : )   I did notice the following while I was multitasking - i.e, doing "grandma stuff" while eating:  I was able to monitor my own food intake so I didn't overeat, but barely noticed the taste.  The idea of the exercise was to not lose focus of what and how much we eat while we are busy "multitasking".  I actually did fine on my food program while I was at my daughters.  While I ate mindfully, I noticed that when I was very involved with my granddaughters, meals became somewhat perfunctory.   Perhaps I was too busy savoring my role as a grandmother!  : )

Tomorrow I'll be focusing on another type of savoring....the savoring of food!

What did I do while I was in San Antonio to demonstrate my total commitment?


I was mindful of my eating while I was away and stayed within my boundaries on most days. I also got in some great exercise in the form of walking at an incline for 2-3 miles about three times a week during the first three weeks I was in San Antonio.   The weather became stormy during the fourth week, and by the time the weather cleared, I had gotten sick so it's been over a week since I exercised.

What did I do today to demonstrate my total commitment?

I returned to my blog today and have committed to re-focusing my attention to my journey.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back - Home - to the Program - to your Routine - etc. Congratulations on your NSV - that must have felt GREAT!!!

    Congratulations on the renewal of your commitment.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete