Monday, March 19, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 25- Smaller Amounts, Less Often

Today,  instead of saying "Do It Anyway!" regarding exercise, I actually had to reference it  to my blogging!  I sometimes feel reticent about keeping up my blog/journal but I also realize that staying focused is a necessity which is what keeping a journal allows me to do.   So not blogging is just not an option!

The topic for Day 25 is "Smaller amounts, less often".   This is about giving ourselves treats but keeping the portions small and only taking them less often than we have in the past.  This is one that I really need to adhere to!  I used to eat peanut butter both as a treat and as a "filler".  I haven't touched peanut butter in over a month. I know we have it in the house but I've steered clear of it.  When I feel I'm ready, I might have a taste of it on a cracker, but, for now, it's better if I avoid it.   I'm also eating less bread than I was before.  I have done well in replacing the bread with "filler" foods that are healthy.  The only treat I've allowed myself to have this week was frozen yogurt.  I had one cup with strawberries and a teaspoon of Baileys a few evenings ago.   One cup = 180 calories but it does have 16 grams of sugar.   I need to decide how often I should allow myself such a treat - once a week?  or once every 2 weeks?  Maybe if I reduce the amount to 1/2 cup, I can plan on having it once a week.  Hmmm.....might need some suggestions on this one.   Another food item I've been steering clear of lately are almonds.  I started eating seven and then went up to 14 (1 oz.) which is something like 170 calories.   Then I started adding more and more until I realized I was becoming addicted to them!   So like peanut butter, I've decided to steer clear of them, at least for now.   My snacks these days are either fruit or plain Greek yogurt (the latter I have once a day).   Since I no longer teach, I don't feel a need to snack as much as I used to.    

The exercise for Day 25 is to list about 3 different foods that we consider "treats" and decide on the quantity and how often we plan to eat them.  I've discussed frozen yogurt, peanut butter and almonds.   However, at this time, the only one I will allow myself as an occasional treat is frozen yogurt.   When and if I'm ready to add the other two back into my list of occasional treats, I'll then decide how much and how often.  I think each of the exercises in the book need not be followed "to the letter".  Rather, I think we should modify the exercise so they fit  part the boundaries we set, and the "wider road" we determined would get us to our goals back in the beginning of the 100 Day Challenge.

What did I do today to demonstrate my total commitment?

I followed my food plan and stayed within my boundaries.   Today's meals were:
Breakfast - Fiber One cereal w/unsweetened Almond Milk and banana
Lunch:   Amy's lentil and vegetable soup
Dinner:   salmon, mixed vegetables and 1 TSP of scalloped potatoes.
Snacks:   yogurt and fruit

1 comment:

  1. Babs, if you are eating raw almonds, they are much less in calories for the same 14. I get the big bag of raw almonds at costco and they are delish. I am perfectly content with 6-10 almonds and it only dings me 70 calories. It is the processing that piles on the calories.

    Personally I think a treat is supposed to be 1 time per week.......so if you have 3 items, that could be a max of 3?

    You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete