Wednesday, March 7, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 21 - Eating With Awareness



It's been nearly 10 days since I last blogged, so obviously this is not actually Day 21.  In fact, I started this Challenge towards the end of January!  Not being home for nearly three weeks has thrown  my routine off but I have, at least, been mindful of my eating, though not nearly as mindful about my exercising.   I did get back to doing a 35 minute walk today, and Monday, I got in about 10,000 steps.   Yesterday, I had good intentions but the high winds did not allow me to carry out my plans to get in a walk.

Day 21 focuses on eating an entire meal with awareness - savoring each and every bite of a meal rather than eating it so quickly that one cannot even recall the taste of each food item.   As in every day on this Challenge, there is a homework assignment, which I did on Monday.   The weather was lovely and I had a relaxing day all to myself.   After a 9:00 a.m. medical appointment, I went to a large outdoor shopping mall called La Cantera.   I shopped at several stores and then had a leisurely lunch at Mimi's Cafe at about 1:30 p.m - the restaurant is located within walking distance from the mall.   Though I had never eaten there, I was aware that it  has some dishes inspired by traditional French cuisine - which has long been a favorite of mine! Here is the link to the restaurant:   http://www.mimiscafe.com/

Being half-French myself, I know that the French are people who definitely see "la cuisine" as an art and every meal is treated as a special occasion so this made it a perfect choice for this type of exercise.  In France,  eating "on the fly" is practically non-existent - in fact I can think of no translation for it!  When I taught in France as an exchange teacher,  even lunch at school was special!  We had several courses served to us in La Cantine and the meals were not only well-balanced but delicious!    Lunch break was usually 1.5 hours  - to give teachers and students time to enjoy their meal.    How different from the 30 minute lunch breaks we get in American schools - barely time to warm up something in the microwave and certainly never time to sit down and enjoy a relaxing meal.

I arrived at Mimi's Cafe in anticipation of a relaxing and delicious lunch.  I chose my menu items mindfully - a 3 oz grilled salmon filet on a bed of greens with strawberries with a light vinaigrette dressing, and a side of citrus fruit.   I wish I had had a camera as the plate looked so appealing - and for good reason as it was delicious!   I savored each morsel of salmon, and enjoyed the combined flavors of the greens along with the slices of strawberries.   The sweetness and just-right ripeness of the fruit was a perfect ending to a perfect lunch!  

The rest of the exercise ask us how we felt after the meal.   I felt very relaxed and very content!  I had been walking and shopping all morning and had been both very tired and famished!   The choices I made and the manner of savoring each bite definitely gave me a feeling of satisfaction.   By the end of meal, I also felt re-energized.   I realized that when I hurry through a meal, I don't allow myself to truly enjoy it nor do I experience the same level of satisfaction.  I need to resolve to repeat this exercise regularly.

What did I do today to demonstrate my Total Commitment?
1.  I kept within my boundaries on my food plan.   Breakfast - Greek yogurt w/tsp. honey and fresh blueberries;     Lunch - McDonald Bacon Ranch Salad w/1/2 packet of ff balsamic dressing;   1/2 strawberry smoothie;    Dinner - baked tilapia with parmesan crust with veggies ;  fresh fruit

2.  Exercise - 2.3 mile walk

3 comments:

  1. Babs, I'm going to start being mindful of savoring the foods that I eat. I tend to rush through meals, even now. Thanks for sharing your experience. Congratulations on the exercise, and the good food choices you are making. Hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your lunch sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babs - thanks for the reminder - I just went through that lesson too, but I didn't do it as mindfully as you did. I have to practice it again.
    But 1.5 hour lunches in France? lol - we didn't even get 30 minutes here - when I was a teacher I got 20 minutes and that included getting to and from the cafeteria!!

    ReplyDelete