Monday, January 7, 2013

Small Victories - Twice Over!!


Today was my first weigh-in day since I re-started my journey a week ago.   The result is I lost my first five pounds for this year!   That is an amazing "victory" for me as I've never lost that much in one week before!   Since I set my goals in small increments (as per WW - they give a gold star for each 5 pounds lost!), this then is my first "small victory" for the year!  I entitled this "Small Victories - Twice Over!" as my husband has finally joined me on my journey - and not only has he lost weight, but his blood sugar, which had been rising at an alarming rate - dropped by 21 points this past week!   He's not down to where he wants to be yet as he's at 113 - but he's getting there!   We are both celebrating our "small victories" and look forward to celebrating many more!  

I'm sure that some of the weight I lost was "water weight" as I was on vacation - and had put on nearly 4 pounds over the holiday.   My usual weekly weight loss is 1-1.5 pounds per week with bouts of "maintaining" in between.    With that in mind,  I am now setting my next mini-goal of 5 pounds and would like to reach that goal by the time we leave for our marriage retreat on "Valentine Weekend".  We'll be heading to Albuquerque, NM for a "weekend to remember" retreat which we both look very much forward to!  

The main differences I've made from last year is cutting out cheese and most breads and processed foods.  I've also worked hard at staying hydrated.  I've also made sure I had several "filling" food items/foods from the Power Food list on WW (spinach, mushrooms, clementines, berries, broccoli, cucumber, chicken, yogurt, eggs, etc).  

 Here is today's menu:


Breakfast:  an omelet (2 eggs and 2 egg whites) with spinach and mushrooms cooked in a tsp of olive oil  

Lunch:  Activia yogurt w/berries and banana
              pb (1 tsp)  w/slice of low-cal bread

Snack:  Clementines

Dinner:   a huge salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, olives, bacon bits, and a hefty tablespoon of chicken salad  (chicken w/lite mayo w/olive oil) - w/ balsamic dressing (0 calories)
                broccoli w/a bit of butter (w/canola oil)

Snack:   Frozen greek yogurt w/berries


NOTE:
Our start date for juicing will be next Monday - when we've received the resources we've ordered.  It will be interesting to see how juicing will factor in with our "clean eating" menu and what results will ensue.

1 comment: