Saturday, January 26, 2013

My First Juicing Adventure


We finally started our juicing adventure - which we hope to make a mainstay of ours.  In fact, we had decided to "juice" five days a week - replacing just one meal a day.   Our other two meals will consist of mainly "clean eating".

I found that I will need to plan a bit better prior to the actual juicing process as the juicer I bought  requires that the veggies and any added fruit be cut up in smaller pieces than I had anticipated.   That was a bit time-consuming, particularly since I was cutting and throwing in chunks of veggies and fruit at the same time - so timeliness is also a factor. I will definitely do the food prep earlier!  

The first recipe I used was:  the Grean Mean Machine  which I found on this website:  http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/

The ingredients are:

cucumber

kale

celery

apple

ginger

lemon juice

Although my husband was hesitant, he was at least willing to give juicing a try.  Nevertheless, I was a bit apprehensive as to how he would react to the "green concoction".   He grimmaced when he actually saw the "green liquid", set it down without even tasting it and said he would wait until I made my juice - though it seemed to me that he was putting it off for "other reasons". When we fianlly drank the juice together, he gave me the "thumbs up" sign saying it tasted a whole lot better than it looked!   :)

What surprised me is we drank about 10 ounces of the juice - and it carried us through the evening and into the morning with no hunger pangs!    Another pleasant surprise is when I woke in the morning, I felt refreshed and did not feel the usual joint stiffness I often have in the morning - I actually felt "light on my feet"!

So I can say that both of us gave this first try into juicing ----

It's a safe bet that now we'll be including JUICING as another healthy component to both of our journeys!  

2 comments:

  1. Did you use the almond milk? I would have to substitute that with rice milk but other than that I can eat everything in that juice.

    What type of juicer do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No milk, Jan. It's a juice not a smoothie....so only the the veggies and fruit with lemon and ginger. We have an Omega 8600 masticating juicer -very powerful!

    ReplyDelete