Sunday, January 13, 2013

It's All About the Numbers - Or Is It?



Lately, I've been reading blogs that focus heavily on weight loss and the importance of "numbers".    The problem with focusing on numbers is the emotional effect it has - we are elated when the scale shows a negative, and our feelings often plummet when the scale goes up.   I do realize that there are more numbers involved than just the numbers on the scale - but for now, I'm focusing on the placement of too much importance on numbers dealing with weight - whether it be a loss or gain.  

I had a 5 pound loss last week - and, yes, I was elated!  However, I know that realistically part of it was probably water weight as I had been on vacation.   I also know that this won't be the norm - nor should it be as losing five pounds per week is not even considered healthy - not if one is in it for the long term and not just looking for a "quick fix"!   My weigh-in day is tomorrow - and my expectations are a "maintain" or maybe even a slight gain.   Will I allow that to effect how I feel?    I hope not!   No matter what number shows up on the scale,  I know how I did this week - and it was better than last week as I added exercise - and did not touch my weekly allowance the entire week- until yesterday  (which is why there might be a slight gain).   I absolutely do not want the scale to dictate how I feel about my journey!

To place a better perspective on numbers, I would like to share this article:   Don't Bow to the Scale - You're More Than A Number 

Here is an excerpt from the above article:

To base your achievements on numbers does not give you the full picture. It makes it easy to forget the primary reason we should be living a healthy lifestyle or pursuing a fitness goal. Our motivation shouldn’t be to achieve some number; we need to treat our bodies with respect through a healthy lifestyle and daily celebrate the one life we have been given. You are not a number. The purpose of your life is not determined by a number either. Shift your focus to an eternal perspective and find lasting motivation.

Addendum - Monday, Jan. 14 -  Weigh-In Day
 I must have been "psyching" myself up for today's WI with this post of mine as I am up 1.5 lbs.   I think it partially has to do with "bathroom issues".   :(   Anyway,  I will continue tracking, add more exercise, and try not to use any of my weekly allowance this week.  Should be able to as I don't have any plans to eat out or other "food events".  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that article! I think we all think the number on that scale is all that is important at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good article. It's tough to let go of the numbers sometimes.

    ReplyDelete