Monday, April 9, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 33 - Fullness Scale

I took a hiatus from my blog during the Easter holiday weekend, and now I'm ready to get back to blogging, counting points, and exercising.   I need to return to my WW online account and use their online tools so I can be sure I'm counting points accurately.

Day 33 gives us yet another useful tool/strategy in measuring the amount of food we eat at a meal.  Previously, we were given a "hunger scale";  this time we are being given a "fullness scale".   Here are the levels:


Fullness levels
0 Neutral, not hungry, not full
+1 Satisfied, comfortable, just right
+2 Too full, a little uncomfortable
+3 Stuffed, miserable

Having practiced "mindful eating" for some time, I honestly cannot remember when I have reached a level 3 - "stuffed - miserable".   I have probably reached a level 2 at times.  Most of the time, I eat until I'm satisfied (level 1).   

The exercise with this topic is:
Next time you eat a meal or snack, place your hand on your abdomen and monitor how your stomach feels.   Before you start eating, write a note about how it feels right then.  Then eat until you feel satisfied  (level 1).  Write down how much food you've eaten.   Then write down how it feels to be satisfied, not full.   

This exercise was easy to do today as I had several mini-meals rather than any one large meals.  I find myself doing this often now that I'm retired.  This is an exercise I will do when I eat out as I am usually in control of how much food I place on my plate at home and I rarely put more than I need to feel satisfied.   When my husband serves me, I often leave food on the plate.   We've had conversations regarding this so he is paying closer attention to how much I eat and serves me accordingly.   He's also trying to cut down on his own servings and announced that he has already lost five pounds!  :)    

What did I do today to demonstrate my commitment to my program?  What improvements do I need to make?

I stayed within my points.   However, on looking back at my food plan today, I did not eat enough vegetables.  My breakfast consisted of grains, dairy and fruit (cereal w/banana and berries).  My mid-morning meal consisted of yogurt and berries.   My mid-day meal consisited of grains and meat (ham sandwich on flatbread).  And finally, my dinner consisted of soup - chicken noodle with a few vegetables along with a few crackers and brie.  My snacks consisted of fruit.  Too much dairy and grains and definitely not enough vegetables.   

I walked 45 minutes today - but at a slower than usual pace.  I got extremely fatigued and even felt weak/dizzy during the walk - and after I finally made it home and replenished the liquids I needed, I realize that I was dehydrated as I hadn't drank enough water before taking my walk.  This is a rare occurence and not one I wish to repeat!   



1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of figuring out BEFORE you eat, what your state of fullness is. A lot of times I eat according to the clock (alas... I don't have the luxury of retirement! lol). I, too, have very seldom reached Level 3, although I did last night. However, the differences were (1) that I noticed it immediately and even as I approached it; and (2) I stopped!

    I didn't realize that you have eTools - I thought you were doing an older version of WW "on your own." I always track - my leader said, "Only track on the days you want to lose weight." LOL - I thought that was a good saying! :)

    ReplyDelete