Thursday, December 13, 2012

Working Through the Barriers



The second line of the Pledge I took on last week is:  "I will work through the barriers."  I have been fighting one of my primary barriers or obstacles all week - finding excuses not to exercise.  I started on a high note at the beginning of the week, and then lost my "get up and go" by Tuesday!  My husband reminded me why I needed to go to the pool - and reluctantly, I went, but not before I got angry at him - which I know was misplaced anger as I should have gotten angry at myself instead!  Yes, I did apologize to him when I got back - but only after I mulled it over as I swam lap after lap.   I ended up swimming laps for 50 minutes straight - and as always, it felt great afterwards!  I have to ask myself why I often fight myself when it comes to exercise - especially swimming as it's an activity I truly enjoy - though there is the distinct inconvenience of having to drive more than 30 minutes to the pool  while the pool that is closest to me is being renovated. However, today I am slated to do a walk - and all day I've procrastinated and found reasons not to go to the park - just not wanting to move from my "comfort zone" which is all too often right in front of this computer.  So here it is folks:  my primary "barrier" or "obstacle" is  laziness/procratination!  

After admitting my downfall to myself,  I  decided to look up "ways to overcome laziness".  In my research, I found this article on a website called Success Consciousness:   12 Tips to Overcome Laziness - a great article for anyone who also has problems with procrastination - which, as the author states, is a form of laziness.  I found that each and every tip applied to me in some way.  However, two of the tips that I needed to read and re-read in regard are number 5 - Think About Benefits; and number 6 - Thing About Consequences.    While both topics are self-explanatory, I will quote from one of them:

Think About Benefits
"Think about the benefits you will gain if you overcome your laziness and take action, instead of thinking about the difficulties or obstacles. Focusing on the difficulties of the task or action lead to discouragement, avoidance of taking action and to laziness. It is important that you focus your mind and attention on the benefits, not on the difficulties."     Author:   Remez Sasson

This one should be my driving force as exercise for me is all about good health and getting stronger.   I know the benefits - stronger legs, less pain, and perhaps not having to go under the knife - surgical knife, that is.    I also know the consequences (number 5) - weakness and difficulty to walk, painfulness,  and, yes, needing TKR in both knees!  I have been swimming since the summer of 2011 - and I know that each time I've stopped, the pain returns.  I also know that when I start up again, the pain goes away.  I also know that alternating walking with swimming offers even more benefits - by exercising other muscles,  giving me the benefits of fresh air,  etc.

Now, before it gets too late, I need to end this blog - and take a long walk in the park!  I have no more excuses, and there are so many benefits to reap from just a 30 minute walk!  Besides, my dear husband has agreed to walk with me!  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Addendum:   We just came back from a 35 minute walk!  I started out with some pain in one knee - which all but disappeared within the first 10-15 minutes of walking.   My legs felt better and better as the walk progressed - in fact,  both of us agreed that walking regularly has really helped our overall health - an incentive for us to make this a permanent part of our weekly agenda!


No comments:

Post a Comment