Saturday, December 8, 2012

Making a Pledge - to myself



I have addressed how I benefit from logging, blogging and mindful eating.  What I haven't yet addressed is exercise.   In the past, I've mentioned how exercise is my "nemesis",  my "waterloo", my absolutely biggest challenge!   Too often, I have to force myself to MOVE!   I know too well, however, that it is a vital component of this journey.  I do know one can lose weight without adding exercise to their program - albeit at a slower pace.   However, for me, it's not just about "losing weight" - it's more about being healthy!   I have discussed my knee issues (near bone on bone) and how lap swimming with fins and a kickboard has strengthened my legs - compensating in part for the weak knees I have.   Whenever I've stopped swimming - usually when traveling - I feel the pain all over again!   Then I return to swimming and - voila! - the pain goes away!   I alternate swimming with walking - as both address different muscles.  I am aware that I will also need to add weight training so that I can strengthen all my muscles, not only my legs.  I'm also looking into taking a Tai Chi class - which will help with balance and control.

I am borrowing the pledge above and taking ownership of my need to exercise with this as a reminder:

I,  Elizabeth Smith (my formal name),  will be physically active for me, so that I may live longer and feel better.

I will work through my barriers to being active.

I will set activity goals and rewards, get support and track my progress.

I will build up being active and I will choose activities I like to do.

So what have I done this week to address the issue of exercise?

I exercised for 35 to 40 minutes three times this week  (I still have tomorrow so I might well make it four times...).    It's a good start, but it's one I need to build on.   I alternated swimming and walking.   Twice, I attempted to do both in one day - but alas, I need to build up my strength as I was unable to!

I do have a Scale Victory to report today - down three pounds already!  Three pounds in less than a week is phenomenol for me - as I'm usually a "snail" when it comes to losing weight.   However, I cannot become complacent!  If anything, I need to celebrate this and then use it as motivation to keep on keeping on this journey.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful new beginning! I wish you all the success in the world with your exercise plans. Maybe some of your enthusiasm and determination can rub off on me :).
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete