Saturday, December 15, 2012

More about Mindful Eating



I have been blogging about Mindful Eating for a while as it is a topic which I think has a great deal of importance in any successful weight loss program.   I've mentioned mindful eating in earlier posts this year as it is mentioned in the 100 Days Challenge by Linda Spangle.  I've also discussed this with Miriam on her  blog as we both have come to the realization that the elements of Intuitive Eating, which she has researched, in many ways mirror the elements of Mindful Eating.   Miriam and I have often shared our thoughts as we're both on a similar journey - to improve our overall health - and our approaches are much the same in that we believe a program needs to be tailored to our own needs rather than merely follow a program verbatim.

I intend to do multiple readings on the topic of mindful eating and share those readings on my blog as the more I write on a topic, the more I gain an understanding of it.  The image above comes from Susan Alber's article:  The Surprising Benefits of Mindful Eating.  I strongly urge anyone reading this blog to read her article - it is quite comprehensive in its description of mindful eating.  I will be discussing various aspects of the article in my next entry.  

Since I have undertaken some of the elements of mindful eating, I find that I am becoming less and less concerned about the points assigned to each food as per Weight Watchers - even though I am tracking my food with their e-tools.  By becoming more mindful  - or more AWARE of what I eat, how much I eat, how each food tastes - and then knowing when I've reached a level of satisfaction without over-eating - I find that I am subsequently eating healthier and in less quantities.

More discussion on this topic will be forthcoming...

No comments:

Post a Comment