Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Fresh Start - and a Focus on Mindful Eating



I've redesigned my blog - not major changes, but it does have a fresh look to it which I like!  It also has given me the fresh new feeling which one often has when he/she has decided to start anew. It is indeed "a new beginning".

I have now been tracking my food and exercise for two days.  It actually feels good to be doing both the blogging and the tracking/logging!   I realize now how much it gives me the feeling of being in control, and keeps me accountable.   I want to share a part of an article mentioned by Flo, another DWLZ buddy and co-blogger - on the reasons why keeping a food journal is helpful:

Diet and exercise are only part of the equation when it comes to eating healthier and losing weight. The rest is in your head, and for many people, that's where the real battle is won or lost. To keep your head in the right place, consider keeping a food diary, or a regular log of what you've eaten and when. We don't mean counting calories either (although that can be helpful too.) The simple act of recording your meals forces you to think about what you ate, when you ate it, and how large your portions were.   
 excerpt from article by Alan Henry ("Keeping a Daily Food Diary to Track Your Diet, Lose Weight, and Build Healthy Habits")

I underlined the last line of this as I believe it is what makes or breaks us when we are trying to lose weight - or another way of saying this is "mindful eating".  Mindful eating truly means being fully aware of what we eat, when we eat and how much we eat!   For me, keeping a food journal is the tool that helps me be mindful of what I eat.  In fact, I've been recording most of what I eat in the evening but I now I think that it would be better if I recorded what I plan to eat early in the day.  

As I reflect more and more on the  concept of mindful eating,  it seems that I am coming closer to understanding what works best for me.  Maybe, just maybe I'll find "the key" which opens the door and helps me discover why I've not been as successful as I would like to be, and, more importantly,  helps me reach my goals/dreams of becoming healthier!     your head in the right place, consider keeping a food diary, or a regular log of what you've eaten and when. We don't mean counting calories either (although that can be helpful too.) The simple act of recording your meals forces you to think about what you ate, when you ate it, and how large your portions were.


1 comment:

  1. Love the new look. I also liked that article - so glad we are picking up things from each other through blogging.
    Good luck getting back into the swing!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete