Tuesday, May 29, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 39 and 40 - Part One: Preparing for an Eating Experience




Once again, I've taken a rather long hiatus from journaling.   Part of it was because I was on vacation last week and I just didn't have much time to sit and reflect.  I did pay attention to my food choices, and got in at least 30 minutes of walking nearly every day.   I have not weighed myself since I returned but I'm probably up a couple of pounds as we ate out often.

I'm back home again, and have returned to my exercise program and have started planning my meals again.   I'm feeling both energetic and relaxed, thanks to a wonderful and exhilerating vacation up in the Colorado Rockies!   I also had a therapeutic experience in the hot mineral springs - and my knees have been thanking me ever since!   Each time I stop my swimming therapy, I start getting twinges in my knees/legs.  Since I didn't swim while I was in vacation, I was feeling a bit of discomfort - but the "healing waters" sure made a difference!   Now I am back to my swimming therapy - and feeling great!

On the 100 Day Challenge, I'm finally finishing the first four decades.  That means 40 chapters done, and "only"  60 to go!   I am determined to finish "the Challenge" no matter how long it takes!   However, I will continue to substitute topics when topics do not apply to me.

Today, I am gearing up for tomorrow's "eating experience"  (topic for Day 40).  I happen to be eating out with a friend at a favorite restaurant called Ripe.  The "assignment" is this:


Intentionally plan to have an eating experience. Let the food become a minor part of your event, perhaps even choosing a simple meal of soup or salad for your experience.  Select a restaurant based on the type of experience you want to have.  

The focus is to determine what have been the most enjoyable eating experiences, and what caused the experience to be so enjoyable, and then to replicate the experience.  This is easy as all enjoyable eating experience have been about the person or persons I've been with.  I enjoy eating out with the people who are special in my life - whether it be with my spouse, or other family members, or my friends.   Tomorrow I am meeting a former colleague who has become a good friend.   I truly look forward to sharing a dining experience with her and sharing stories about our lives as well!  Shari is a culinary arts teacher so I'm sure we will be paying close attention to the culinary delights during our meal!  (note:  see Postscript below)

How did I demonstrate my dedication and commitment to my program?

Exercise -  I did nearly an hour of lap swimming.

Food Plan - I had the following:   Breakfast - Fiber One cereal + unsweetened Almond Milk;  Lunch - crackers and hummus,  an apple ;   Dinner - turkey sausage and a medley of rice and vegetables;  Snacks - 1/2 slice of low-cal ww bread w/tsp of pb;   energy bar; strawberries shortcake (w/angel food cake);   1 small apricot;  Activia yogurt

Postscript:


I find that when I'm enjoying the companionship of my spouse, another member of my family or a friend at a restaurant, that becomes the focus of my dining experience - not the food - which is the way it should be IMO.  Though one might savor the meal as well as the sharing of conversation, food should never take so such great importance that it overshadows the relationship one has with one's dinner companion.  I recall dinner with friends not because of the food I ate but because I love spending time with friends and family.    

No comments:

Post a Comment