Sunday, May 6, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 36 - Slow Down Your Eating

The topic for Day 36 is "slow down your eating".  This has a domino effect as it also allows one to pay attention to not only the flavors of food but also be able to "pause" so as to know when one has reached the "satisfied" level of eating.  It is true that one eats too fast, there is no time for the feeling of "fullness" vs "just being satisfied" to be recognized.  Unfortunately,  for years, I ate too fast as I was teaching and we had such a short lunch period (30 minutes - but that included getting the food from the fridge in the lounge, heating it up - not to mention bathroom breaks).  Sometimes, it was more like "eating on the run" when I had "school stuff" to do such as running copies, meeting with other teachers, counselors,  students, etc. etc.    Fortunately, I am retired now so I don't have this excuse any more.

Today, I went to a wonderful Champagne Buffet Brunch at a restaurant in Old Mesilla, New Mexico.  I did the "pause" exercise as describe in my last entry.  It worked!  By slowing down and pausing between each part of the meal, I was able to reach a level of feeling satisified and did not over-eat.  As from past exercise, I also savoured the various foods - which also forces one to slow down and I truly focused on enjoying the myriad of flavors.  I also made sure to balance my plate with veggies, salad along with the entrees - a salmon crepe and 1/2 portion of Chicken Marsala.  I did "splurge" on a small piece  (square) of Carrot Cake, however.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I have set up my weekly goals:
1.  6 days of exercise  (alternating between 2 mile walks and an hour of lap swimming).


2.  I will also continue to try to pause and slow down during meals as I know it will be to my benefit to do so.  


3.  I will TRACK my food points on E-tools on the WW site  (I have not been doing this very regularly which is not in my best interest!).   

4.  I will blog at least four days this week.   By doing so, I will be able to complete another decade of daily topics!    

1 comment:

  1. Oh your meal sounds wonderful. Glad you were able to enjoy it so much :)

    ReplyDelete