Sunday, February 19, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Traveling and Staying Focused

I'm not sure when I'm going to pick up again on topics covered in Linda Spangles' book as I've run into some topics that I have not yet been able to relate to. I did a few the "two bite" exercises and the ones when we leave food on our plate when at restaurants - but that was relatively easy to do as  the portions served were too large as they often are in restaurants.  At home (or in my daughter's home where I am now), I decide what portions are adequate for me so throwing away food is not only "wasteful" but unnecessary as well.   So for the time being, I'm "creating" some topics of my own - topics that I consider possible "roadblocks" on my own personal journey.  For this blog entry, I've chosen "Traveling and Staying Focused".  More often than not, I've had problems staying focused on a program while traveling or being away from home.   This time I've been more successful than in the past  as I find myself truly "protecting my program" and more focused than I have before.

I've either stayed under or at my points since we left on Thursday, the 16th - except on the very first day when we were on the road but even then I only went over by a few points. Of course, it's not just about points but also about choosing healthy foods.   It helps that my daughter usually has very healthy menus - and as a diabetic, she counts carbs religiously.   My menus have centered around egg dishes (veggie omelets, scrambled eggs),  veggie salads, chicken breasts (grilled or baked),  and seafood - steamed or grilled. I'm still limiting my snacks to a handful of almonds, fruit and Greek yogurt..  I will end this entry with today's menu only - but it is a fairly typical one.

Exercise has been more of a challenge since it rained for two solid days. Great for Texas since we've had a very bad drought this past year, but not great for walking.  Today was the 1st day we had sunshine and I got in a 2 mile walk - at various inclines as we are in the Texas Hill Country!   : )    I do miss that I cannot continue my swimming therapy/exercise while I'm here.

I did struggle a bit today as our younger foster granddaughter had a birthday party - there were ice-cream sundaes with a variety of toppings and heart-shaped sugar cookies.   I did have a small ice-cream sundae (my only sweet dessert this week) - with berry toppings and whipped cream.   I was tempted to eat more but was able to control my cravings for more ice cream  (as I've mentioned before, this is a major trigger food for me).

What did I do today to demonstrate my total commitment ?


Exercise:    A Two-Mile Walk


Todays' Menu:    
Breakfast:   one fiber one blueberry muffin and Greek yogurt
Lunch:  grllled chicken and grilled veggies
Dinner:    baked tilapia and mixed veggies
Snacks   (b-day party) -  small ice cream sundae  (see blog entry)

1 comment: