Friday, February 3, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 8 & 9- Surrounded by Love and Support

I'm combining Day 8 & Day 9 as the topics are so interconnected:  the importance of the support we receive  from our family and friends, and how to ask for the right kind of support.  As I already mentioned in Day 7, I am very blessed to be surrounded with the support of my family - my spouse, my children and my siblings (especially my sisters), and, of course, my friends.  All have offered support and cheered me on - which, in turn, is so appreciated and so motivating!  Just today, my friend, Beth, mentioned in our DWLZ (Dotti's Weight Loss Zone) forum that she has been inspired by my journey, including this blog and challenge, which, in turn, has influenced her to add the book and the challenge to her own journey.  There has been such a ripple effect!  I started this challenge because I was influenced and inspired by Miriam as well as Jan and Elaine.  All of us are already linked through our friendship and comraderie on our forum on DWLZ and are accustomed to offering each other support when needed.  Now others are being inspired by this blog and the 100 Day Challenge - including my daughter and husband.   In fact, my daughter posted this on my blog just yesterday:   Keep going, keep going! Imagine life not stuck in a wheelchair or with a walker in the future, that is what you are saving your self from!,,,I am very much not blessed with time. Any ideas for me? : )


As have many of us, I've been on - and off -a journey to good health for years - no, make that decades!  But  the spirit with which I've undertaken this particular path in my journey has been filled with more enthusiasm and energy than ever before!  Having said that, I still have my "good days" and "not-so-good days".   Today, I started the day on shaky grounds as I had a very bad digestion problem which caused me to take several trips to the bathroom throughout the entire morning.   There went my plans to go to the pool!   When I finally felt "stable" enough to leave the house, I had a medical appt  (mammogram), and some errands to run.  I got home around 4 p.m. and was about to dis any kind of exercise.  Then I read Beth's post as I mentioned above - and knew immediately that I could not possibly be a good inspiration if I "gave up" today on my intentions to exercise.   That would be essentially also giving up on myself - as my daughter truthfully stated,  I need to imagine my life not stuck in a wheelchair or with a walker - as that's a very real scenario due to my weak knees.    How I take care of my body now will have huge consequences - or rewards - down the road.   So, thanks to Beth's post, I decided to sign off the computer, and do my 2 mile walk.   Did I mention a ripple effect?   My husband asked if he could go with me as he felt he needed to get back into a walking routine with me!  So we went to the park and had a very exhilarating 30 minute walk together!   Yay!!!!!!!!!   I guess this is not just about the support I'm receiving from so many, but also the support I'm able to pass on to others.  When we inspire others who are on the same life journey we are on, the reciprocal boost we receive is equally motivating!   : )

I will end my blog this evening with the all important question:

What did I do today to demonstrate my TOTAL commitment?
I think the answer to this is obvious - I protected my program by not giving up on myself!  But I also recognize the fact that I am not doing this alone.   I have the love and support of so many - family and friends.   When I need to be picked up, they are truly there for me and for that I am extremely grateful.   A heartfelt THANKS to all of you for helping me along this journey!   My journey would be so much more difficult without you!  


My food plan also went well today:   Breakfast - ff egg omelet w/salsa, 1/2 avocado and feta cheese w/2 high fiber toast and Smart Balance;   frozen yogurt with lots of fruit for Lunch;  and a  huge veggie salad with apples, pecans, dried cranberries, and 1/2 avocado with viniagrette dressing for Dinner.   

4 comments:

  1. You are so correct about the ripple effect and how we inspire one another. Unfortunately I didn't use my magic notebook last night before the bowl of chips - but I think I have something just as good - I shall come here and read YOUR blog and see what you did for the day that showed you protected your program and what you did "anyway." Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babs, so glad that we are friends and can inspire each other. You have wonderful support in your family. Glad your husband took that walk with you. Hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have walked with my doggie for the past 2 days. I love the video posted by Lauren in the 100+:

    http://youtu.be/aUaInS6HIGo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Great video with a great message! Glad you've been walking. I want to add more to my exercise routine by walking every day, and going to the pool every other day.

      Delete