Wednesday, February 8, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 12- Fuel or Filler?

"Strength does not come from winning.
Your struggles develop your strength.
When you go through hardship
and decide not to surrender, 
that is strength."  - Anonymous

 In view of yesterday's sharing of some of my personal struggles, I've chosen the above quote to begin today's blog.   My weight loss journey has been a life-long journey - and at times, a real struggle due, in part, to the health ramifications of carrying around more weight than my 5'2" frame should be carrying.   I've already had two knee surgeries (arthroscopic) due to meniscus tears. I am working hard to strengthen my legs in order to postpone or possibly even eliminate the need for knee replacement - or if it cannot be avoided, than at least losing poundage and strengthening my limbs will assist during the post-opt recovery period.   The point of the above quote is to not give up...to not surrender to laziness...to keep one's eye on the "goal" whatever that may be.   

 The topic for Day 12 is a continuation of Day 11 - about the food we take in daily.   Yesterday, we discussed the two purposes of food.   I also took on the task of recording daily the times that I eat and what impact each meal has on my energy level - since I already have an actual food tracker on the WW website.  Today, it takes us a step further - asking us to decide whether the foods we eat at each meal (and snacks in between) are "fuel" (energy-giving foods) or merely "fillers"  (basically "empty" calories).   This is right down my alley - as yesterday, I "gave in" to an urge to eat "something sweet" - and downed a generous serving of frozen yogurt with a tsp or so of Baileys!   Not the worst thing I could have eaten, but certainly more sugar than I needed!  Today, I've eaten more conscientiously  (called "mindful eating" as opposed to "mindless eating".   Planning ahead is what prevents mindless eating - and what caused my falling off the wagon yesterday was UNplanned eating!   

So today I'm going to write down what I ate and evaluate each as either "fuel" or just a "filler":

Breakfast :   my husband invited me to breakfast at I-HOP - not the best choice but I know a few menu items which are edible.  I ordered from the "Simple and Fit" menu (under 600 calories).  I ate one of the two Healthy Grains pancake (w/blueberries and a few slices of banana) and fat-free scrambled eggs - which probably came out to 400 calories rather than 600.   The meal included protein (eggs),  carbs (healthy grain pancake) and fruit.  I had coffee and creamer as well - probably another 50 or 60 calories.    Not so much a filler breakfast as "fuel" due to the mindful selections.   Now if I had had one of the berry crepes drenched in whipped cream which  I-HOP is known for - that would have a "filler", but certainly not "fuel"!   : )

Lunch:  6" Subway sandwich  (turkey breast/no cheese) on 9 grain wheat with lots of veggies - including spinach rather than lettuce.   Good choice -  a "fuel" rather than a "filler"

Dinner:  96% home-made fat-free hamburger (no bun);   grilled squash and red potato   - again "fuel"!  

Snacks:  fruit  (3 tangelo;  grapes); about 7 almonds

In all, I can say that I did make healthy selections which translates to "mindful eating".

The above also  partly answers the question I ask myself each day:  What did I do today to demonstrate my TOTAL COMMITMENT?

The other part  to the above question is did I move my body today - and I'm happy to say that this is the 3rd day in a row I've gotten in significant exercise!   Today was a 2.2 mile walk in 34 minutes  (less than 17 min. per mile) with my husband. I am thrilled that he is joining me on each of my walks now!  : )   I also got in another mile of leisurely walking while shopping today.   



No comments:

Post a Comment