Monday, February 6, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Weekend and Overview of the first 10 Days

Weekend Events:  Feb. 4 and 5

I'm finally getting back to blogging after having taking a weekend trip up to the mountains in Ruidoso with my husband - a nice retreat for us as well as a chance to see a wonderful musical concert put on by the Texas Tenors http://thetexastenors.com/  at the beautiful and ultra-modern Spencer Theater which is set in the Sierra Madre mountains- and what a fantastic concert it was! ( note: they won America's Got Talent a couple of years ago)

Traveling is always a challenge - therefore I will answer the all-important question:

What did I do this weekend to demonstrate my TOTAL commitment?
Since we didn't leave town until around noon on Saturday,  my husband and I decided to return to the park and do another 2 mile walk.  


I kept my "boundaries" in mind during most of the weekend.  On our way up to the mountains, we stopped at Subway for lunch (about the only "fast food" restaurant we ever go to) - and I ordered the chicken noodle soup and oven-roasted chicken sandwich on 9 grain wheat bread.  In Ruidoso, we ate at the Cattle Baron Steakhouse where I chose a 6 oz. filet mignon and steamed veggies.  I also made good choices at the salad bar - all veggies and just a drizzle of honey mustard dressing.  After the concert,  my husband invited me to have dessert at Denny's:   I chose an apple pie a la mode - which was a splurge but one I chose to do as I am allowing myself the occasional dessert or sweet.  I actually left most of the pie crust and ate the apples and ice cream!  :)    


The next morning we ate breakfast at the hotel - eggs, a low-fat yogurt, and a banana. I did cave and got a danish - a splurge I did not need - especially having had the one the night before.  :(  We got home in time for lunch - a bowl of Healthy Choice soup and 3 small tangelos.  For dinner, I had baked tilapia and veggies.  Snacks were greek yogurt with a sprinkling of granola, and a few almonds.   


Monday, February 6 - Overview of first 10 Days

While I started this challenge exactly two weeks ago, I have reflected and journaled only up to Day 10.  As stated earlier, some topics require a bit more reflection.  I will be starting the 2nd set of TEN days tomorrow, but before doing so, I want to summarize as well as reflect on what has taken place the last two weeks/or 1st Ten Days of this Challenge.

In the first ten chapters,  I adopted several "mantras" from Linda's book into my journey. I shall list them below and explain how each has affected the journey I have undertaken:

1.  Total Commitment - which is why I end each blog with the question which asks how I demonstrated total commitment.   It is essential - and the #1 reason we don't succeed in our program - whichever program that may be.   


2.  Set up Boundaries and Protect My Program - we need to take ownership of our "program" and one way to do this is to set up our own boundaries based on what works for each of us.  Once those boundaries have been set,  it's up to me to "protect" those boundaries no matter what!


3.  Do It Anyway! - a great mantra for me as I often do well on my food plan but get very lazy when it comes to exercise.   When I start putting off my exercise, this is the mantra I turn to - and it works!   Of course, without the commitment, it would be easy to keep making excuses to not exercise.  


4.  I CAN DO IT!  -   i.e. believing in myself and focusing on positive thoughts rather than negative ones.   The best is to not let the scale dictate how the program is going...KNOW when I am doing the right things, and keep right on going!    


5.  Count my Blessings!  -  I am blessed with friends and family who have been very supportive.  I did not have to teach anyone how to be supportive  (Ch. 9) as so many had already offered their support - my spouse, my children, my siblings and friends.  I am so thankful for without them, this journey would be so much more difficult.  


I will end today's entry with my daily question:

What did I do today to demonstrate my total commitment?
Though I had to remind myself of the "Do It Anyway!" mantra - I overcame my procrastination and walked 2.8 miles in 47 minutes.

My food plan consisted of:  two slices high fiber, low calorie bread w/1 TBS peanut butter for Breakfast;    omelet w/veggies and feta for Lunch;  small baked pork cutlet with veggies for Dinner.   Snacks included fruit and Greek yogurt.

1 comment:

  1. Babs - I absolutely love the way you blog - it's so clear and easy to translate to my own life. I can see you are a teacher! lol Your first ten days have been wildly successful and I can't wait to see how your next ten unfold.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete