Sunday, March 2, 2014

Challenges and Commitments



In my last entry, I shared some areas in my life where I have stretched myself to the point of feeling out of my "comfort zone", yet realizing that this is part of my own personal growth.   Needless to say, when we find ourselves outside of the realm we are most comfortable - stagnant as that may be, it is easy to slip back to where we were before.  There is a even a certain degree of excitement when one tries something new or challenging.   Sticking to it for the long term - i.e. keeping that initial commitment - is where the real challenge lies.  

A good example are  with the health challenges I've taken on, both with exercise and committing to a healthy eating lifestyle.  I find that becoming lazy, falling for temptations  or becoming less motivated can all become real obstacles.  There are constant temptations which can destroy our drive and commitment if we allow them to do so.   Fortunately, those times I've succumbed to temptation or laziness have been short -lived.   As a result, I am continuing to reap success - but not at the rate of speed as in the beginning of this year.  You know how it goes - two steps forward, one step back does slow down our pace.   As a result I lost only two pounds in February after losing five pounds in January.   It's at this point where it would be easy to give up and say at this pace, it will take me "years" to get to my goal weight.  I realize how self-defeating that would be so I'm writing this blog entry to remind myself that the commitment I've made to myself is all about becoming healthy - and therefore one that I need to keep alive and well!

On the upside, I am ready to re-commit to my goals!   I am only 1.5 lbs away from re-entering ONEDERLAND.   I will only reach that goal, and subsequent goals I've set for myself by remaining committed over the long term.

Here is a reminder of WHY I need to remain committed to my Journey of Good Health:


2 comments:

  1. OMG - I absolutely LOVE that quote! It is along the lines of "Motivation is what gets you started; habit is what keeps you going." I am so glad we are each other's cheerleader!
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely my challenge. I start with all good intentions and then lose it quickly. I need to grab whatever it is in my physic to keep going.

    ReplyDelete