Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Last Week Was the Pits!


Since this is a "journey", there is bound to be ups and downs!   Last week was definitely the pits.  It started out with a bad cold that kept me down the entire weekend, and then last Tuesday, I had an episode I would hate to repeat!   I thought I would be able to workout with my "personal trainer" in our "home gym"  (garage) but halfway into the strengthening exercises, I began feeling dizzy.   I sat on the workout bench and put my head down, but knew I couldn't go any further.  I was not able to stand up without help and ended up being half carried by Amanda and my husband.  I barely got into the kitchen when I began blacking out, and had it not been for the two of them and my son-in-law, I would have probably cracked my head on the tile floor as I fell.  YIKES!!!  Yep, I did totally black out - but came to within a few minutes. For a fleeting moment, I wondered why I was looking up at the ceiling!   Then I realized that  I was not only flat on the floor, but also was surrounded by my three "rescuers". all looking very worried (my husband admitted later he thought I was having a heart attack!).   I laid on the hard floor a good 30-35 minutes before I felt strong enough to get up.   I was then taken to our little house and promptly got physically sick - and lost my entire breakfast!  When I finally got into bed, I slept over 2.5 hours!  I was truly exhausted from the entire rather scary episode...On hindsight, I realized that I had been dehydrated and had not fully recovered from my weekend illness - that coupled with the overly warm and humid atmosphere in the garage most likely contributed to my overall demeanor - and downfall!

The rest of the week, I took it easy...mostly rested and took some walks. By Thursday, I felt well enough to go to the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens with Laura, a friend who was visiting from El Paso.    Here is a photo from that excursion:




 This week, I am happy to say, I am back in form, and have returned to my workouts!   Last week was just "a bump in the road". It's over and now I'm ready to return to a feeling of being energized and continue my journey!   And, yes, I will pay closer attention to the messages my body is giving me, and, most of all,  I need to remember:



1 comment:

  1. That is very scary. I have come close to passing out at the gym but never have. I do know that I need protein before I work out. The best form seems to be a protein shake. Glad you are back in tip top shape!

    Lovely picture of you and your girlfriend :)

    ReplyDelete