Monday, July 9, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Life Events vs Motivation

“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing; it is about having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.  Delicious Ambiguity.” 
                                                              - Gilda Radner


What I learned this past week is that no matter how much we plan our lives, we cannot predict life's events.  I wrote my last journal entry a week ago yesterday - on Sunday, July 1st, expecting to return to my journey.  Monday went by calmly and I followed my eating and fitness plan  (a 1.6 mile walk).  However, everything went downhill on Tuesday when my Mom went into the ER due to dehydration, and in a very weakened state.   She stayed the entire day in the ER, and then returned to her foster care home with specific instructions to improve her well-being, although at first the cardiologist had wanted her to stay another day in CCU. We decided that staying in the hospital is detrimental to her due to the Alzheimers.  She becomes even more disoriented, filled with anxiety, etc.    The rest of the week was filled with daily visits with Mom and efforts to place her under hospice care as it is clear that she is experiencing a drastic downward spiral. She is probably in Stage 6 now of Alzheimers and has very limited mobility, refuses to eat, and has become very weak.   We placed her under hospice just two days ago and she seems to be stable at this time.

On Thursday evening (the day before my birthday) , I had a surprise visit from both of my children - which certainly lifted my spirits!   We had a wonderful time - and it was truly one of the best birthdays I've ever had!!   However, with all of these family events - the sad one involving my Mom and the happy ones with my children and grandchildren - I once again got off track.   Life happens!   It doesn't matter how much motivation one has, there are life situations that simply do not allow for all the components of this journey. I had no time to journal, and got in just two days of exercise.  The children left yesterday so here I am, attempting to re-start my journey.  I cannot predict how this week will go but I will once again return to setting up my fitness calendar, tracking my food intake, and I am at least back to journaling!   And we'll see how the week progresses...

1 comment:

  1. What a crazy up and down week you had. I am so glad it finished up with a happy birthday surprise. Life happens you will get back on track.

    ReplyDelete