Friday, July 20, 2012

100 Days Challenge - Day 42 and 43 - Making it Matter and Making Choices





The theme of Day 42 in "The 100 Days Challenge" by Linda Spangle which I am using as a resource on my journey is  Make it Matter.  The description of this theme is:   If you aren’t sure if you really want to take action on something such as your weight, ambivalence will usually win. To get past this roadblock, you have to raise the importance of your goal and make it matter. Think about all the things that bother you about being overweight, then just convince yourself that it’s crucial you make changes in this area.

Since I just re-listed my goals two entries ago, I am not going to restate them here.  I do agree that being overweight is detrimental to my health - there can be no more important reason than this for being at a healthier weight than I am now.   

What I truly need to work on at this time is to stop procrastinating on exercise!  During the last three weeks, I've only gotten in two days of exercise.  While I've had some legitimate reasons for not being able to fit in exercise,  I've also been lazy.   So I'm going to move right on to the theme of Day 43:   Choose To, Not Have To.  The description of this theme is:  Instead of saying, “I have to,” when discussing your actions or goals, substitute the words “I choose to.” Any time you feel like you have to do something, say “I choose to.” Then take steps that move you toward the outcomes you want.  

No, I'm not beating myself about this, but I do need to find a solution.  I feel I need to change my attitude, and start being pro-active rather than negative about the need to exercise.  In the beginning of this journey, I used the phrase:  "Do it Anyway!".  At that time, it worked well for me.   I like the idea of making it a personal choice instead.  We all do much better when we CHOOSE to do something rather than do it because we HAVE TO do it!   Recently, I have been making some other choices in my journey in my daily meals.  For example, I am waiting until I'm hungy (on a scale of 1-5, probably at 3 - in other words, not starving!)  before I eat, which in some cases means skipping breakfast or eating a brunch instead of breakfast and lunch, or eating two meals a day instead of three.  There are times I've also eaten one main meals, and then had a few healthy snack-type meals (ex:  yogurt, berries and granola).   


What I plan to work on at this time is create the same attitude - of CHOOSING TO rather than HAVING TO for my exercise routine.  I will report back about mid-week of next week and evaluate the results of this change of atttitude.   After all, we may not be in control of everything that happens in our lives, but we ARE in control of our own attitude!    


1 comment:

  1. I love that you say you are in control of your attitude - how true! I am going to exercise by default over the next few weeks. I have to determine which sandals to bring with me on my trip - I refuse to wear athletic shoes with all the pretty designer sundresses I am going to be wearing! So every day I am going to take at least a mile's walk at a decent pace, but in sandals! lol

    ReplyDelete