Sunday, December 8, 2013

Change is Good!


I don't think there is such a thing as "too much change".  In fact, I think it's good to change things up on a regular basis, especially if what one is doing is not bringing the results one would like to see.   The only real problem is if one stays in a rut and does nothing to get out of it!

For some time now, I have wanted to get off my medication - statins and blood pressure meds.   However, I have done absolutely nothing about it!   That, my friends, is about to change!  First on my list are the statins -  I plan to stop taking them - period!   I know I have a healthier lifestyle than I had when I was first put on them so I want to see how taking no statins effects my cholesterol levels with the healthier lifestyle I've adopted.  I know that the jury is out as to whether statins are really needed.   I have to say that when a friend of mine mentioned that she had taken herself off of statins, I began to think I should make the same change.  After all, I have been talking about getting off meds for way too long - now it's time to DO something about it!

Next, I will address my blood pressure meds.  I am going to try taking 1/2 a pill and check my blood pressure daily.   Eventually,  I hope to get down to NO PILLS.   We'll see how that goes...and, yes, I plan to share this with my doctor.

I am also working on changes in other areas, particularly in regard to my health.  While others may compete against others, I find I am my own best opponent...I prefer competing against myself!   For example, I have been afraid of overdoing it on the treadmill for fear of causing injury to my knees.  Yesterday,  I doubled what I normally do - two miles instead of one!  Today, I am feeling great - in fact, better than ever!   I am learning that it is when I remain inert that I tend to hurt the most - activity gets the blood flowing and builds up muscle - DUH!   That's not to say I'm going to run a  marathon - but daily activity is what I'm striving for!

UPDATE:

I did see my doctor today (a new doctor as I had not seen one since we moved here) and we discussed my desire to "wean" myself off of meds.  She will work with me though she did warn me that lifestyle changes may not do the trick if I am genetically disposed to high cholesterol and/or high blood pressure.  It turns out I already have a low doze of statins (10 mg) but my blood pressure meds is 100 mg.   I have her blessing to halve the BP medication and will take my blood pressure daily to see what effect it has.   Next week, I will go for blood tests  as I haven't had tests since last February.  We need a starting point as we decide what the to do with the statins.  I am anxious to make more changes in my diet even if it means planning my meal separately from the rest of the family.  

2 comments:

  1. You go girl!!! You can do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, as you can imagine! I think it also pertains to all the diets we cycle through. What I have learned on my journey is that everything I have tried is not because I can't stick to something, but that I was always looking for something to heal myself and to be kind to myself. One of the things I have come away with is that I do not have to be ashamed that I have tried so many different ways to find the answer. It is okay to change my mind, to keep what works, let go what doesn't, and to maybe cobble together my very own approach.
    Good luck with the medication - I am hoping my new primary care doctor will see that they might not be as necessary as previously thought.

    ReplyDelete